When signing up to EdgeTel you are required to deposit $100 into your account in order to complete the signup process. This deposit is fully refundable. As you add items to your account (such as extensions or phone numbers) the cost is taken from your deposit. If you remove these items from your account during your evaluation the amount is restored.
Simply remove all items from your account prior to your first invoice, and contact us for your deposit to be refunded.
1. These terms and conditions apply to the EdgeTel VoIP service (the "Service"). Please read this agreement (the "Agreement") before using the service in whole or in part. In this agreement, "We" or "Us" relates to EdgeTel or their agents and "You", "Customer" or "Reseller" relates to the person, person(s) or organisation receiving the service. Also, acknowledge that these terms and conditions may vary from time to time. Notification will be provided in this case, unless variations were made due to a change in law or regulation.
2. You acknowledge that although we will take all reasonable steps to make sure you receive the voice service within the local calling areas, the voice service is not free from faults or interruptions. Certain factors, such as network congestion, maintenance, technical capabilities, geographic factors, obstructions or interference may mean you will not receive the voice service at certain times.
3. When using this service, you will ensure that you and others comply at all times with all laws and obligations, regulations, codes or determinations or any other requirements of any government or statutory authority, including licence conditions, applicable to the services and their use. Failure to comply with any licence, permit or authorisation relating to the connection of equipment to the Service Delivery Point or use of the services may result in immediate termination of the agreement. In addition, you must not transmit, distribute or otherwise publish on the service any libellous, defamatory, abusive material or material that could give rise to civil or criminal proceedings. If this occurs, EdgeTel will not be held liable for any charges incurred by these proceedings.
4. The contents of the service, including, but not limited to text, photographs, graphics, video and audio content (the "Content") is protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of Australia and other countries, and owned or controlled by EdgeTel, their affiliates or the party credited as the provider of the content. All individual articles, content and other elements comprising the content are also copyrighted works. You must abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in the service. You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, enter into a database, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any part of the service. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the EdgeTel service may not be resold or otherwise resupplied by any account holder to any other person or entity without EdgeTel's prior written consent.
5. Fees and charges applicable to your service will commence from the date of connection to EdgeTel. We will email a monthly invoice, and this invoice will note payments made in advance. All fees and charges will be billed to your nominated credit/charge card. If you cancel your credit/charge card authority, and your card cannot be billed when necessary, your ability to make outbound calls will be restricted.
6. If you have authorised payments by credit card, debit authority or other similar methods, then payments shall be drawn against your authority automatically unless you terminate the payment method within vControl.
7. Your term begins when you are first connected to EdgeTel and continues for the period of time until you disconnect. Should your details change at any time, you must notify us immediately. If you want to discontinue your connection, you must give us notice by telephoning the EdgeTel billing department and requesting a disconnection. The service will be disconnected within 7 days of receipt. EdgeTel may suspend, restrict or disconnect the service under varying circumstances. A final invoice will be issued after disconnection and you must pay all fees and charges you incurred using the service, up to the date of disconnection.
8. EdgeTel's records are prima face evidence of the customers use of the service and the charges payable. EdgeTel allows customers to connect to the service using their own device. EdgeTel only charges for answered calls and ceases to charge when the call is terminated by the caller. Timed calls are calculated using the total network time used for each call. The customer agrees that any calls from the EdgeTel number supplied to the customer are deemed to be authorised by the customer and the customer will pay all charges accordingly. International, national and mobile timed calls are charged in one minute increments. If the value of your account in any calendar month is less than five dollars then a flat charge of five dollars will apply for that month's account.
9. EdgeTel may provide a voicemail service for each customer. Where the voicemail service is provided, the information attached to it is provided as a guide only.
10. All Customers are assigned a unique EdgeTel identification number and password. The customer should keep confidential all passwords the customer is given in connection with the service. The customer acknowledges that EdgeTel will disclose any information in connection with the customers accounts to any person who correctly quotes the customers password.
11. EdgeTel customers are permitted to maintain as many open channels as they have set lines/simultaneous calls within their vControl system at that time, where channels include all inbound and outbound calls to or from their account number. EdgeTel can enable your account to allow you to periodically exceed your maximum simultaneous calls on inbound calls, however EdgeTel reserves the right to disable this feature at its discretion with no prior notice, and intentional misuse of this feature is a breach of our fair use policy.
12. EdgeTel can issue customers with two different types of phone numbers for their phone service.
Local Geographic Numbers.
These are regular Australian geographic telephone numbers issued by the ACMA. They are the same numbers as you would receive on a regular phone service provided by Telstra, Optus, AAPT or other telecommunications provider. They are state based and start with 02, 03,07 or 08. Your rights and obligations are regulated by the ACMA. This includes the ability to port your number between different carriers. EdgeTel can provide local numbers in most areas. To receive a local number you must provide a residential or business address in that local area where the telephone service is connected. Your local number can be listed in Sensis and the White and Yellow Pages.
Numbers from the EdgeTel incoming DID service.
EdgeTel DIDs are direct in dial numbers owned by EdgeTel which are connected directly into our private branch exchanges (pbxs) in various cities around Australia. EdgeTel's incoming DID service gives you exclusive use of one or more of these numbers, so that any calls to the number will be automatically directed to your EdgeTel phone. You can further divert this call to any other fixed or mobile phone. EdgeTel DIDs are available in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast. The benefit of having a DID is that callers in those cities will only pay a local call to access the DID number and the call will be directed to your EdgeTel phone anywhere in Australia or overseas. You can have as many DIDs directed to your service as you like, from as many cities as you like. These can be additional to any Local number and/or 0550 number you may have already connected to your service. EdgeTel DIDs are not listed in Sensis or the White or Yellow Pages. A DID number cannot be sent as your caller ID. The caller ID of the caller will be sent to your EdgeTel phone unless it has been withheld. EdgeTel DIDs always remain the property of EdgeTel and the use of these DIDs is a service offered by EdgeTel. You cannot port an EdgeTel DID to another provider.
13. When calling Emergency Services (000) from an EdgeTel phone, the operator will, when possible, verify your location details with you.
14. If, in EdgeTel's opinion, you breach any of the terms and conditions of this agreement, we may suspend, terminate or limit your access to the service and terminate this agreement effective immediately. The termination of the service shall not preclude EdgeTel from exercising any other rights EdgeTel may have against you under this agreement.
15. These terms plus the terms of the chosen service(s) constitute the entire agreement between the customer and EdgeTel in relation to service(s). Any condition, warranty, representation or other term which might otherwise be implied into or incorporated into these terms and conditions, or any collateral contract, whether by statute, common law or otherwise, is hereby excluded. Neither party shall have any remedy in respect of any untrue statement made to it upon which it relied in entering into this agreement (unless such untrue statement was made fraudulently) and each party's only remedy shall be for breach of contract as provided in this agreement.
16. These terms and conditions are governed by the laws and regulations of the state of Victoria.
Once you've created an account, you will be guided through the setup wizard which will create some extensions, phone numbers and so on for your account. If you create some queues and voicemail boxes, you can instantly dial in on your new numbers and see what it's like, but to actually pick up the call or place your own call you'll need a phone. If you don't already have a SIP compatible phone, you can download the free X-Lite software which allows you to use a computer headset with your PC as a test, or you can buy physical SIP phones once signed into vControl.
Once you have created some extensions and phone numbers in the system, you will immediately be able to place and receive phone calls. Incoming calls do not incur any cost at all, however, any calls you place are non-refundable and are permanently deducted from your available balance.
Please download a copy of the What You Need to Know document which summarises ways to manage your spend, the network our service is provided through, payment methods, and your warranty rights for hardware that you may purchase from us. You may also wish to download a copy of the Communications Alliance Ltd's document Protecting our Customers.